Hello!

Monday, 18 July 2016

Sherlock Holmes

In the 30 odd cases Sherlock has solved in my company, there have been comic, tragic and strange stories. Out of all of these, I think one stood out as the easiest....
The events in question occurred in the early days of my association with Holmes, when we were sharing rooms in 221 B Baker Street. That morning I woke up to see Holmes standing by my bed.
“Scotland Yard’s Lestrade is outside, there’s been a robbery gone wrong in 46, Audley Court, Kennington Park Gate.” I quickly got ready and into the cab waiting outside with Holmes. WE reaches the house of the crime and got out of the cab. Lestrade came out of the house to greet us.
“The victim’s name is Enoch Drebber. The house is ransacked, although nothing is missing. The cause of death is stabbing.” We followed him into the house.
The living room was on the right, and Mr. Drebber was sprawled across the floor. There was a woman standing beside his limp body with tears streaming down her face.
“Lucy please move away.”
Another officer pulled her away so that Holmes could investigate. He bent down and examined the wound. Then he got up and walked round. Lestrade showed us the entry point of the intruder which was a small window by the kitchen.
“So was it a robbery or a murder Holmes”
Holmes ignored him but walked out of the house. He walked around the house until he reached the window where the robber had entered.
“I know who the murderer is.”
This sentence took us all by so much surprise, we didn’t know how to react.
“wh-wh-what?!” said Lestrade. “And how did you come to that conclusion?”
“Arrest the wife”
Lestrade didn’t object this time. He simply walked back into the house mumbling something to himself. I was especially surprised and in awe of Holmes. Although I had solved cases before with him, I never cease to be amazed by his deduction skills.
“How did you know?” I asked a he started to walk of.
“It was quite obvious really. Well the kitchen window is quite small so the chance of a man being the murderer is quite unlikely. The window was not even broken properly, leaving a very small gap for the person to enter. Outside the window, as you can see, the mud is very clayey, and so if someone had stepped in it, their footprint would be clearly visible. However the only footprints visible is that of the heavy constable. So it’s quite obviously a murder and not a robbery as the criminal didn’t actually enter through the window but the front door. And the lock of the front door was intact so it was quite obviously the wife”
I was amazed but one thing didn’t quite add up.
“But what was the motive”
“they were a wealthy family so Enoch Drebber’s life was most probably insured. Thus in case of his death, his wife Lucy Drebber would get all the money.”


 This was confirmed to a trip to the local insurance office confirmed this theory. Enoch Drebber's life was insured for half a million pounds with Lucy being the beneficiary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment